11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Star Wars
1. Great Things Take Time - Three years passed between the release of each movie in the two trilogies, and a lot of work went in to them. Be patient?and keep working hard every day.
2. Play Bigger Than Life - George Lucas is only 5-foot-6, yet he made a giant impact on the movie industry. Aspire to achieve greatness, and you just might find it.
3. Background Music Is Important - The score of a film is essential to the audiences' enjoyment, and John Williams' Academy Award-winning "Star Wars" theme is legendary. Where are the opportunities in your small business to enhance the experience of your customers/clients?
4. Success Is Fleeting - "Star Wars" made Lucas rich, but not all of his projects were as successful (read: "Howard The Duck"). Be innovative, and always focus on what you do best.
5. Seek A Sage - Yoda trained the greatest of the Jedi knights. Find a mentor - or a coach - who you can depend on for wise and insightful guidance, and to hold you accountable.
6. Believe In Yourself - Luke Skywalker initially failed to understand the power was within him. Remember, you have the greatest power for making things better in your small business.
7. Loyal Employees Are Critical - R2-D2 and C-3P0 always came through for their masters. Hire the right people, inspire them to excel, and they, too, will come through for you.
8. Avoid The Dark Side - Anakin succumbed to evil and became Darth Vader. Be cautious of poor decisions that could jeopardize your small business.
9. Celebrate Success - At the end of "Star Wars," Princess Leia awards Luke and Han Solo with medals. Make sure to reward your employees for their excellence in helping you.
10. Be Slow To Anger - Han Solo warned C-3PO it's not a good idea to upset Chewbacca. While you wouldn't react like a Wookiee, maintain your composure with employees and, especially, customers.
11. Let The Force Be With You - Reach deep inside when faced with any challenges. Be true to what you know is right for your small business and the answer will usually appear.
Copyright © 2005 by Success Handler, LLC. All rights reserved.
The Coach, David Handler, is the founder of Success Handler, (www.successhandler.com">http://www.successhandler.com), and specializes in helping small business leaders find clarity and take action. He understands the challenges of running a business, because he's been there - as a small business owner, franchisee, franchisor, corporate leader and trainer. Much like sports coaches, his coaching will show you how to compete on a level playing field in your industry.
Get Your Mailing Noticed - Seven Tips for Effective Direct Mail Pieces
When sending mail to clients and potential clients, make your mailing stand out from the stacks of "junk mail" they receive. Here are a few easy ways to get their attention.
My 7 Most Important Business Lessons
Millions of people start new small businesses in the United States every day. Many fail at running a small business every day.
10 Compelling Reasons Not to Downsize
Almost daily, newspapers, business magazines, radio and television carry reports of corporations, large and small, that are downsizing. Their attention is chiefly focused on the impact to the employees, as they are the ones most acutely experiencing the immediate effects.
Sales Marketing: 10 Tips On How To Promote Yourself And Generate Sales
A lot of people are insecure about buying something
or doing business with strangers.To make people feel comfortable to buy from you or do
business with you, give them a little information about
yourself or business.
Top Ten Tips for Participating in Online Business Expos
Are you ready for a BASH? Have you ever been a vendor or exhibitor at an expo, craft show or other offline event? Well, when you are a participant in an online bash or online expo - many of the same expo tips apply. Here are the Top Ten essential business expo tips for online events.
7 Reasons You ARE Your Own Best Product, or Lessons From the 2004 Presidential Election
The 2004 election is over--at least in the minds of the public--and analysis runs rampant as to why Senator John Kerry lost. From a business viewpoint, one could say that he simply didn't sell the product.
The Top Ten Qualities that Allow Business Operations to Grow Easily
My husband and I were enjoying our dinner meal one evening while discussing various plans and ideas. I was sharing that I wanted to submit articles and ads to a huge number of ezines to market my eProgram in a big way, and I wanted his help to make this happen.
7 Things You Can Do To Weather The Lows Of A Business Cycle
Hey, as hard as this may be for you to swallow, business online
is no different than a business on Main Street in your home town
or city. We have good times and we have slow times.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Star Wars
1. Great Things Take Time - Three years passed between the release of each movie in the two trilogies, and a lot of work went in to them.
Why Clarity Is Essential To Building Massive Momentum In Your Business
Clarity is an absolutely essential ingredient for you to achieve your full potential in business. Napolean Hill, in his classic book Think & Grow Rich, said "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
How To Eliminate Your Competition Without Bloodshed
So how do you eliminate your competition without bloodshed? You must create a niche for your business. A niche is something that makes your business different from your competitors.
Ten Top Performance Management Tips
Talk to Your People Often
By building a great relationship with your people you will bring trust, honesty and information. This gives you a head start in Performance Management of your people.
Business Attire: 10 Tips to Perfect Your Look
Being appropriately dressed is essential in making good impressions in the business and corporate worlds. A polished image is important in business survival and can be an important factor in career advancement.
Top Seven Questions for Starting Projects More Effectively
We all are project managers. Some of us manage projects like vacations or reunions, while others run implementations of new software systems, consolidation divisions of companies, launch new products, or build buildings.
Top Ten Tips: Where to Get the Best Business Books Now!
There are many places you can get books, and I don't pretend to know them all. I've listed a few of my favorites below.
Why Dont They Just Get It Done: 7 Performance Tactics for CEOs
Buckling under the weight of chronic corporate restructuring, and frustrated by performers who don't respond to carefully crafted strategic plans, high level executive leaders are being confronted by a growing performance gap between what needs to get done and what gets done.Sound familiar? It's a troublesome trend that is likely happening in your firm right now.
Seven Keys to Get Out of a Rut
Rut -- a routine procedure, situation, or way of life that
has become uninteresting and tiresome..
Want a Web Site that Turns Lookie Loos into Buyers? Seven Passion Copywriting Tips
Web Site Blues? Need one, don't know where to start? Got one, but aren't getting enough sales?
If you need a Web site soon you may be wondering where to start and who to trust. All Web masters are not equal.
10 Tips to Successfully Use Business Networking as a Marketing Strategy
Networking is probably the best way to build a profitable business, or sales pipeline over the long term. Many of us understand the value of networking, but we don't always know the best way to go about it.
Wealth Building Scams
I have some good news and I have some bad news. First the good news.