Top Ten Ways to Manage Interruptions
So many people I worked with said they got more work done at home than in the office. That was because there were so many interruptions in the office. In fact lots of people come in early or stay late just to have quiet time to work. One way to have that same quiet time during the day is to manage interruptions. Look for ways to create a "Power hour" of work time. Maybe this will allow you to get home earlier!
1. Email - shut off the audible alarm for email in your computer. Plan to check email two or three times a day. Allot time in your schedule for answering important email. Use a good spam filter and delete unnecessary email.
2. Telephone - Use voice mail message to let people know you will return their call at a particular time during the day. Let people who answer the phone for you know that you can not be interrupted. Give them specific instructions about what constitutes and emergency.
3. Staff - Help the staff to understand the reason you cannot be interrupted. Give them a time at which they can get their questions and issues answered. Use a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door or some other signal so that staff understands you are not to be interrupted.
4. Colleagues - Use "Do Not Disturb" sign on door. Explain to colleagues that you are unreachable between certain hours. Be clear when they can talk with you. Set firm boundaries when people come in to "chat" with no clear business purpose.
5. Boss - This one is tricky. If you are working on a particular client matter, tell the manager about your deadline and the implications if you don't get the work done. If your deadline comes from the boss make a trade off of a later deadline to accommodate the interruption.
6. Internet - Be careful about being drawn in by the Internet. Doing some research on the net can lead to distractions like shopping or looking at interesting sites that are unrelated to your current project. The Internet can be a huge interruption while at the same time a necessity.
7. Other project - Sometimes when you are working on one project something you need to do on another pops into your head. Getting up to do the other can be a way of procrastinating. If you don't want to work on the project at hand something else that really does have to be done can be enticing. An example for me would be when I am working on a project and suddenly realize my plants need watering. Watering the plants at that moment is a big interruption. A way to deal with it is to make a note in my calendar to do it at another time.
8. Idea Flash - Funny how you can pause to think about something you are working on and suddenly you get a great idea about something else. If you have an idea notebook write it down and move on. No special notebook? Write it down somewhere so you can come back to it once you finish.
9. Messy office - A messy office can drain you of energy. Make sure the place you are working is relatively clear of unessential materials before you start working. Schedule a cleaning time on your calendar.
10. Hunger, need cigarette, bathroom - Take care of these needs before you begin your work. Any one of these can use up a whole morning because you pass other team members on your way to get food, a cigarette or to use the facilities and that can lead to conversation and distractions.
About Alvah Parker
Alvah Parker is a Business and Career Coach as well as publisher of Parker's Points, an email tip list and Road to Success, an ezine. To subscribe send an email to email@example.com.
Parker's Value Program© enables clients to find a way to work that is more fulfilling and profitable. She is both a Practice Advisor and Coach to attorneys, managers, business owners, sole practioners, and people in transition. Alvah is found on the web at www.asparker.com">http://www.asparker.com. She may also be reached at 781-598-0388
10-Point Checklist for High Visibility in Google
Google is the pre-eminent search engine (SE) with no close competitor. Given that inclusion is free, your Web pages must be in it.
The Top Ten Qualities that Allow Business Operations to Grow Easily
My husband and I were enjoying our dinner meal one evening while discussing various plans and ideas. I was sharing that I wanted to submit articles and ads to a huge number of ezines to market my eProgram in a big way, and I wanted his help to make this happen.
11 Things Small Business Owners Can Learn From Star Wars
1. Great Things Take Time - Three years passed between the release of each movie in the two trilogies, and a lot of work went in to them.
Ten Tips for Effective Meetings
Here are ten things that you can do to hold more effective meetings.1) Avoid meetings.
Increase Exposure, and Profits With Powerful Memorable Business Cards Using These Ten Strategies
Your business card is a valuable piece of real estate and a powerful tool for making a connection and starting a relationship that can show your potential clients the valuable solutions you can offer them.1.
Seven Steps to Achieving Your Dream
"Vision is the spectacular that inspires us to carry out the mundane." -- Chris WidenerCan achievement be broken down into steps? Well, it isn't always that clean and easy, but I do know that those who achieve great things usually go through much of the same process, with many of the items listed below as part of that process.
Top Seven Questions for Starting Projects More Effectively
We all are project managers. Some of us manage projects like vacations or reunions, while others run implementations of new software systems, consolidation divisions of companies, launch new products, or build buildings.
Home Furnishings in India : How to Find an Exporter,manufacturer or Supplier ? Beyond a Database.
Looking for a manufacturer or supplier of home furnishings in India ?Don't know where to begin? Want to find a source but at a loss for resources? Want to do business in India, but unsure what is the best way to go about it?This article attempts to answer some of these questions.Firstly,unless you have a link in India, you will find it a difficult task to sift through the information available on the Internet.
Business Profitability - 10 Ways To Boost
10 Ways to Boost your ProfitabilitySo many business owners work hard - really hard - just to break even or keep afloat. Each one of us deserves reward for our efforts, whether that be financial or personal.
5 Tips to Manage and Organize E-Mail
How do you focus on your urgent e-mail and organize the rest for your review? Think about how you handle your paper mail. You probably sort your paper mail quickly before you read it to figure out what to look at first, what to read later, and what to throw away.
Learn to Improve Sales - 10 Ways to Get More Business Starting Today
You need sales and you wanted them yesterday. Here are ten ideas to start those sales pouring in.
Ten Tips to Build a Culture of Inspirational Leadership
Leadership, leadership development and leadership training are "Hot" issues in today's business world. A recent Internet search uncovered over 44 million hits on leadership, over 20 million hits on leadership development and 15.
How To Take Daily Big Rock Actions To Jumpstart Your Business Into Massive Momentum
Do you know exactly what actions you need to do today to be on track to reaching your big, long-term goals?Do you know which actions should be done first to make today a success?If not, don't worry about it right now. By the end of this article, you will have the tools and techniques you need to answer a confident YES to both these questions.
7 Online Banking Success Stories
You have seen their ads and you may have wondered if they are worth a second look. What am I talking about? Online banks! Also known as internet banks, these are financial institutions who provide the majority of their banking services over the internet.
Top Ten Tips for Online Publishing Success
Use the checklist below to make sure your article, tip, or book excerpt will get published and make you a household name on the Internet.
7 Super Ways To Drum Up More Sales
1. Use subheads throughout your ad copy.
Top Ten Reasons to Write a Sales Letter for Each Product? - Part 1
Authors/publishers are great at getting their books written. Entrepreneurs know their products.
Ten Top Performance Management Tips
Talk to Your People Often
By building a great relationship with your people you will bring trust, honesty and information. This gives you a head start in Performance Management of your people.
Performance-Stress-Motivation: 7 Sanity Saving Business Boundaries
The lack of strong boundaries is one of the chief causes of stress, overwork and overwhelm in the business environment.What are Boundaries?Clearly set boundaries help other people to understand how you want to be treated.
7 Money Saving Tips to Decrease Home Business Expenses
We all know that running a home business is highly satisfying, and at times downright liberating! No clock to punch, no dress code, and best of all, no boss to answer to. But there are also many facets of business ownership that entrepreneurs must stay on top of.